What About My Junk?

Question:
Could YOU live without a junk drawer?

My husband and I were having a discussion about drawer space while planning our kitchen remodel. During the discussion my husband asked me "Do you think we should get rid of the junk drawer?" 

I suddenly felt faint as a wave of panic coursed threw me. Just thinking about the possibility of not having a junk drawer made me sick to my stomach.

What?! No junk drawer?!

But.....But.......But.......... 

What would we do with all of our gadgets, thing-a-ma-gigs, whatchamacallits and do-hickeys?! What will we do? How will we survive? How could we ever manage?? It isn't possible to function without a junk drawer... or is it?

After the initial wave of panic began to subside, I did what most social adept people would do; I polled my Facebook Friends and asked them if it was possible to NOT have a junk drawer.
I have to confess that after I posted my question I began to doubt and wondered "What if it's not normal to have a junk drawer?" I almost removed my post out of embarrassment..but then the responses began to flood my wall!

I was shocked but most importantly relieved to learn that most people had at least one junk drawer somewhere in their house.
"I AM normal!" What was once a feeling of embarrassment about my junk began to feel more like a badge of honor. 


We all have junk stashed away somewhere regardless of how organized and polished we are, how many survival badges we've achieved or how exceptional our level of order and control are.  




Let's face it; we all have a little "Junk in the Trunk"
I can't tell you how many times my junk drawer became a much needed tool.

I've used gadgets to fix broken items.
Let me tell you about those thing-a-ma-gigs, they're great for enhancing hardware operation!
The whatchamacallits remind me of failed repairs - I won't do that again. 
Oh the do-hickeys! They can bring back fond memories but if they don't I can easily discard them during spring cleaning.


What do you do with your "junk"? Does it sit idle in the drawer; out of sight, out of mind? Do you consider your "junk" as tools or is your "junk" unwanted shoulder weight? 

It's possible to do a complete overhaul and just get rid of the "junk" - but what will you use to fix what's broken? How can you improve operation without some type of enhancement? How can you avoid failures if your not reminded of them? What about those fond memories - don't they mean anything to you?
It's inevitable, we need to dig through our "junk" at some point in time. Thank God our "junk" is contained in a drawer, it's hidden when we don't need it but easily accessible when we have needs.
Don't be embarrassed by your "junk", remember we all have it so use it!

Go ahead and take your gadgets to repair what's broken. 
Make an improvement using that thing-a-ma-gig.
Study the whatchamacallits, who knows one day you just might make it work. 
Don't forget the do-hickey, and if you have forgotten go ahead and throw it out to make room for more!

My Facebook poll was unanimous - it's impossible to NOT have a junk drawer but it's NOT impossible to find something useful in all that mess.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God WINS what He's IN